< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bokertov.typepad.com/ btb/" >

Friday, September 19, 2003

Arafat threatens suicide over expulsion

Story in the New Zealand Herald
Speaking in his partly demolished West Bank headquarters in Ramallah, Arafat pointed to his machinegun lying on the floor and said he would use it to kill himself if Israel tried to deport or assassinate him.

"I am a Palestinian soldier ... I will use my gun to defend not only myself but also defend every Palestinian child, woman and man and to defend the Palestinian existence," the 74-year-old former guerrilla leader said. [is that former guerilla, or former leader?]

"Is there anyone in Palestine who does not dream of martyrdom?"

Palestinians describe suicide bombers, who have killed scores of civilians in Israel, as martyrs.
Arafat raises a good question - IS there anyone in Palestine who does not dream of martyrdom? I only wish we knew the answer.

Todah to Esther Sarah, for the tip.