< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bokertov.typepad.com/ btb/" >

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

"I can't take it anymore"



Rina Castelnuovo for The New York Times
An Israeli soldier wounded in a bombing yesterday in Tsrifin, near an army base. All seven dead were soldiers.


From the New York Times:
The attacks today seemed intended to jar any sense of Israeli security lingering after a unilateral cease-fire Palestinian factions declared on June 29, but later abandoned.

At both scenes, witnesses described a sickening mix of familiarity and shock. Sgt. Nurit Betzer, 20, a medic, was on her way to the bus stop in Tsrifin when she heard the explosion and ran to help. "I saw bodies that were torn in half," she said. "It's hard when you know your friends are in here somewhere, and all you can smell is the smell of blood and smoke."

Sergeant Betzer apologized for bursting into tears as she spoke. "I don't know why I'm crying," she said. "I shouldn't even be moved by today — this is already my sixth attack."

She spoke about how soldiers were required to keep their boots shined, and said: "I saw this time a soldier, and he was dying, and his shoes were neat. I can't take it anymore."