A Palestinian child stares at Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade militants
in Beit Lahiya, northern Gaza Strip, Wednesday Sept. 17 2003.
(AP Photo/Jerome Delay)
From a profile of the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade published by the International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorism in Israel, this is an English translation of a routine invoice, dated two years ago -almost to the day- from the al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigade to the Office of Fouad Shoubaki, Yasser Arafat's chief financial officer for military expenses. The handwritting in the margins is thought to be that of Shoubaki himself.
Source: IDF Spokesperson's Office
Fouad Shoubaki Office’s handling of the “Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades” Request for Financial Aid
Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades
The debts which we have accumulated until now are estimated to be NIS 38,000. The following are the details:
1. The cost of posters of the Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades: Azam Mazhar, Usama Jubara, Shadi Afuri, Yasser Badawi, Ahed Fares (addition in handwriting of 2,000 shekels).
2. Costs of printed announcements, invitations and mourners shelters for martyrs (addition in handwriting of 1,250 shekels).
3. Cost of sticking photos of martyrs on wooden boards and also of the martyrs Thabet Thabet and Mahmud Al Jamil (addition in handwriting of 1,000 shekels).
4. Cost of memorial ceremonies for the martyrs. Memorial ceremonies were held for the martyr Azam and the martyr Usama (addition in handwriting of 6,000 shekels).
5. Costs of electricity products and various chemical materials (for manufacture of explosive charges and bombs). This is the greatest expenditure (the cost of one ready explosive charge is 700 shekels at least). We require on a weekly basis 5 – 9 explosives charges for squads in various areas (addition in handwriting of 5,000 shekels per week x 4 = 20,000 shekels per month).
6. The cost of bullets. The cost of a Kalashnikov bullet is 7 – 8 shekels, and an M-16 bullet costs 2 – 2.5 shekels. We need bullets on a daily basis.
7. Note: there are 3,000 Kalashnikov bullets at a cost of 2 shekels per bullet. We require that you transfer to us immediately a sum of money for us to purchase them (addition in handwriting of 22,500 shekels for kalashnikov bullets and 60,000 shekels for M-16 bullets).
In conclusion, all the glory and pride to those supporting the brave resistance against the oppressive occupation.
From the revolution until victory.
Palestinian Al Aqsa Martyrs Brigades
16 September 2001
Addition in handwriting: 25,000 Dinar = 150,750:6