< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bokertov.typepad.com/ btb/" >

Monday, October 20, 2003

Clinton simply did not do enough

A new book by Richard Miniter, Losing bin Laden: How Bill Clinton's Failures Unleashed Global Terror, is reviewed at Townhall.com.

I voted for Clinton. twice. with enthusiasm. Yet I stop short of the Bush haters' wishing for a return of the good 'ol days. Maybe they weren't so good after all. Arab terrorism certainly didn't appear on the global scene, well organized and well armed, just as President Bush took office!

It's worth noting that, speaking at a luncheon last Wednesday in New York, former President Clinton said that before he left office, he warned President Bush that "the biggest security problem was Osama bin Laden." Clinton called it "one of the . . . biggest disappointments that I had," that he was unable to convince Bush of the danger.

The ethics of the timing of Clinton's comments are debatable, but they certainly make you wonder . . . if he knew the risk of bin Laden, why didn't he do something? I wouldn't second guess him now, but neither would I have voted for him if I knew then what I know now.

For more, see "What Clinton knew - And what Clinton did" in the National Review.