< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bokertov.typepad.com/ btb/" >

Monday, November 03, 2003

Israel: Major Terror Attack Averted

Arutz Sheva:
A Palestinian terrorist blew up late this morning while on his way to perpetrating a murderous attack against Israelis. It is assumed that he was on his way to Jerusalem last night, but because a high terror alert was in force, he was deterred by the high numbers of security personnel, and turned back. He then tried to enter a city in the Sharon region today, but again did not succeed.

Arutz-7's Kobi Finkler reports that near the village of Azoun, between Karnei Shomron and Alfei Menashe, an IDF force saw the suspicious-looking Arab and called for him to stop. The terrorist began running towards the soldiers, who fired at him - causing the explosives vest he was wearing to explode. One soldier was lightly wounded.

The security forces had been, and still are, on the alert for a terrorist in that area on his way to an attack. The Modiin highway, as well as some entrances to Petach Tikvah, Kfar Saba and Rosh HaAyin were temporarily closed to traffic.

An Israeli security guard and his dog scan the area near the village of Azoun,
near the West Bank town of Qalqilya, after a Palestinian teenage suicide bomber
blew himself up near Israeli forces November 3, 2003. He killed no one but himself . . .

Despite the three dozen terrorism warnings in effect, the IDF is continuing to implement "alleviations" for the Arab population in Yesha, including authorizing the entrance of over 15,000 Arabs into pre-1967 Israel.

Palestinian workers walk through the Erez crossing back into the Gaza Strip from Israel
just before sunset, when Muslims break their fast during the holy month of Ramadan,
November 2, 2003. Thousands of Palestinian workers were allowed back into Israel after
Israel eased their restrictions . . . Photo by Andrea Comas/Reuters
Fatah says that it dispatched the terrorist who was killed today, and warns that many more attacks are on the way.

According to AFP, however, "The Al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigade claimed responsibility in a phone call to AFP and named the bomber as Sbih Abu Al-Saoud." [May his name be erased.]