< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bokertov.typepad.com/ btb/" >

Sunday, February 22, 2004

"We can't go on living like this"

Maariv: Avigail Ben-Hamo has been through the horrible experience twice. Her sister died a year-and-a-half ago in the No. 32 bus bombing in the city, and her brother was injured in today’s attack.

“A year-and-a-half ago, I lost my sister, Michal, who was 23. Now, I’m going through the trauma again. My brother, Meir, also 23, was on the bus that exploded, and he’s being hospitalized at Shaare Zedek”, said Ben-Hamo.

“Meir called me 40 seconds after the explosion. He was in total shock. Everything came back to me. I felt like I was going to faint. I went hysterical. I had to call every hospital to locate him. It was terrible. We still haven’t recovered from the last trauma, and here comes another. We can’t go on living like this”, she added.

* * *

Ruti Montilio’s two children were also injured in the bombing: “I was on my way to the post office when I got a phone call from a hysterical friend who said that neither Liz nor Yinon had arrived at school. So I turned on the radio too and heard about the bombing, and I knew right away that they were on the bus”.

Ruti hurried to the scene of the explosion, but a traffic jam prevented her from getting close. “A police car took me to the hospital to look for them. I think that if the bombings continue and buses aren’t protected like they should be, we’ll just run away from here. There simply won’t be any residents left in Jerusalem. Today, I got my two children back as a gift”.

Liz, Montilio’s daughter, is hospitalized in serious condition at Shaare Zedek Medical Center. Her brother, Yinon, slightly injured, is at Bikur Holim Hospital and will later be transferred to Shaare Zedek.